Monday, January 16, 2012

SNOW!!!

It finally snowed today in Vancouver. I couldn't help but stare for several minutes out my office window at the huge puffs of snow falling from the sky. We did not get enough to make a snowman, much to the chagrin of my young niece, but it was nice all the same.

The snow reminded me of when it would snow back in Idaho. It would be late at night, but seemed really bright outside. The snow generally accumulated very slowly and I would get to stay up late and get all my snow clothes on and help my dad shovel the driveway. This always seemed pointless to me as I knew that there would be another foot or so when we got up in the morning and then the snowplow would come by and deposit boulders of ice and snow at the end of the driveway making it impossible to get out. And we would have to shovel it all again. It was fabulous.

This cycle would go on all winter long, and the walls of snow on the side of the sidewalk and driveway would get so tall that we couldn't throw the snow on top anymore and so we had to climb on top and move that snow another 6 feet or so over to make room for more.

My siblings and I would build tunnels and even "houses" in the snowbank. At least one year our house was big enough to stand up in and we had many rooms in the house: separate bedrooms, probably a living room, and most impressively a kitchen which had counters and inlets under the counters to store stuff. It was the best thing EVER.


5 comments:

Erin Harris said...

It terrifies me now thinking of those snow caves we built. We're lucky they didn't collapse on us and kill us. Glad someone still loves snow. I like it on the ski mountains. In my yard and on my driveway, no thanks. I'll take 70 degree weather any day.

Tyana said...

erin has forgotten how to live life on the edge

Julia said...

I'm with Ernie, but up it to 85 degrees.

I'd probably be more fit if I still had to shovel a foot of snow out of the driveway long before the crack of dawn every morning, though.

Erin Harris said...

Definitely live very far from the edge now. It's a bit disappointing, really. Really, about 74 degrees is ideal for me.

Megan said...

You guys are super non exciting. Although I'll take 95 and up if I can be lounging around a pool or on the dock or a beach.